August Chicago Weather
- Average High Temperature: 81°F (27°C)
- Average Low Temperature: 63°F (17°C)
- Average Precipitation: 3.6"
August is usually hot and humid in Chicago, but it's still bustling with visitors as folks try to squeeze in a vacation before school starts again. The upside is that the Lake Michigan water temperature is usually the warmest it will be all year, making for a nice swim. Here are some important things to know when traveling to Chicago in August.
- Lollapalooza 2011 - August 5 - 7, 2011: Lollapalooza 2011 marks the 20th anniversary of the music event that evolved from a summer tour of concert sheds into a 3-day annual massive music extravaganza in Chicago's Grant Park.
- Tall Ships Chicago - August 11 - 14, 2011: Tall Ships sail back into Chicago's Navy Pier this August, where visitors will have a chance to board and ride historic sailboats.
- Ginza Holiday Festival - August 12 - 14, 2011: The annual Chicago Ginza Holiday festival presented by the Midwest Buddhist Temple is a celebration of the Japanese culture.
- Chicago Air & Water Show 2011 - August 20 & August 21, 2011: The Chicago Air & Water Show happens each summer for one weekend in August, and over 2 million people flock to the shores of Lake Michigan for the event. It is the oldest and largest free show of its kind in the United States.
- Jammin' at the Zoo - August 26, 2011: Each summer the Lincoln Park Zoo presents its popular Jammin' at the Zoo concert series, featuring national music acts amongst the zoo animals and lush landscape.
- Jazzin' at the Shedd - every Wednesday through August: Each summer the Shedd Aquarium puts on this concert series, with extended hours and some of the area's best jazz musicians. Nothing makes staring at moray eels better than listening to some smooth saxophone.
- Chicago Beaches - the Chicago area beaches close for swimming on Labor Day each summer, so August is your last chance to splash around in the Lake Michigan waves.
- Summer in Chicago: this is by far my favorite season. Here are some of my favorite things to do during summer in Chicago.