December Chicago Weather
- Average High Temperature: 35°F (2°C)
- Average Low Temperature: 21°F (-6°C)
- Average Precipitation: 2.4"
- Average Snowfall: 8.98"
Chicago weather in December can vary wildly from mildly cold to downright brutal. Layers are key, and a warm jacket is a must. Here are some other important things to know when traveling to Chicago in December.
- Christmas 2011: December 25, as always -- this year Christmas is on a Sunday. Most restaurants and attractions are closed.
- Christmas Dinner in Chicago: Note, I said *most* restaurants are closed -- here's a list of my favorite spots to get Christmas dinner in Chicago.
- Christmas Around the World - November 17, 2011 - January 8, 2012: Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry gets into the holiday spirit by taking a look at how various cultures celebrate the winter holiday across the globe.
- Chicago Outlet Malls: Of course one of the big activities in December is holiday shopping, and the area outlet malls offer great bargains that draw tourists from all over.
- Christkindlmarket Chicago - November 23 through December 24, 2011: The largest of its kind in the United States, this German holiday market offers unique crafts and gifts for sale, a variety of entertainment, as well as German food and drinks.
- Lincoln Park Zoo's ZooLights - various nights through January 1, 2012: Lincoln Park Zoo gets into the holiday season when it decks itself with lights, Santa's Safari, ice carving demonstrations, and more.
- Brookfield Zoo Holiday Magic - various nights through December 31, 2011: Brookfield Zoo also breaks out the Christmas lights as well as a laser light show, carolers, and more.
- Winter Wonderfest at Navy Pier - December 2, 2011 - January 8, 2012: Navy Pier turns itself into a "Winter Wonderfest" each Christmas season, featuring a number of different attractions, rides, and ice skating.