May Chicago Weather
- Average High Temperature: 69°F (20°C)
- Average Low Temperature: 49°F (9°C)
- Average Precipitation: 3.5"
May in Chicago is a great month, as the warmer weather finally starts to hold, the Chicago beaches open, and summer is right around the corner. Here are some important things to know when traveling to Chicago in May.
- Millennium Park's Crown Fountain is turned on May 1, weather permitting. The fountain is a huge hit with kids, who seem to have a hard time avoiding getting soaking wet.
- Mothers Day - May 8, 2011. There's plenty to do with mom in the Windy City. One of my favorites is one of the fabulous Mother's Day brunches offered at many of Chicago's luxury hotels.
- Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum reopens - May 15. The Chicago River has some interesting historical significance, and this seasonal museum's mission is to inform people about it.
- Chicago Green Festival - May 14-15, 2011. Billed as the "most trusted event in the United States," this environmental expo is bringing an array of exhibitors, authors and lecturers for the tenth year in a row.
- Chicago beaches open - May 27, 2011. Chicago's wide variety of beaches along the vast expanse of Lake Michigan officially open on Memorial Day weekend.
- Chicago Memorial Day Parade - May 28, 2011. Stepping off from State St. & Lake St., this annual parade honors America's fallen soldiers.
- Bike the Drive Chicago - May 29, 2011. Bicycle enthusiasts turn out in droves to take part in this rare experience to bike a long stretch of scenic Lake Shore Drive while it's blocked to auto traffic.