October Chicago Weather
- Average High Temperature: 63°F (17°C)
- Average Low Temperature: 44°F (7°C)
- Average Precipitation: 2.5"
Despite being well into fall, there are still lots of great things going on during October in Chicago. Despite what the averages say, weather during this month can vary widely -- sometimes it's unseasonably warm, and others can get downright cold (let's just say I went on many a trick-or-treating session as a kid with a winter coat on over my costume). Packing layers of clothing is definitely in order. Here are some other important things to know when traveling to Chicago in October.
- Chicagoween - October 1 - 31, 2011: Chicago's Daley Plaza turns into Franken Plaza the last week of October, and features hay rides, pumpkin decorating, storytellers, and acrobats Midnight Circus. Other Halloween events take place throughout the city.
- Chicago Columbus Day Parade - October 10, 2011: It's fitting that a city with a major street named Columbus Drive would have parade honoring Christopher Columbus and his journey to the New World.
- Chicago Marathon 2011 - October 9, 2011: This major running event attracts 45,000 runners and over a million spectators from all over the world.
- Boo! at the Zoo - October 22-23 and 29-30, 2011: Brookfield Zoo goes (mildly) spooky with a fun Halloween celebration for the kids.
- Spooky Zoo Spectacular! - October 22, 2011: Lincoln Park Zoo has a yearly, free, family-friendly Halloween themed event.