Things to do in Chicago
From Prescott Carlson, former About.com Guide
Chicago certainly doesn't have a shortage of things to do. Here's a guide for making your way around Chicago's many attractions.
- Go Chicago Card -- Save Money on Top Attractions
- Best Free Chicago Attractions
- Most Popular Chicago Attractions
Events, Festivals and Holidays
There's always something going on in the city of Chicago. From the famous "Taste of Chicago" to the world-class St. Patrick's Day parade, Chicago always seems to have a major event, festival or holiday to celebrate any time of the year.
Chicago, with its rich history, has a number of important landmarks. Here are some of the most prominent landmarks in Chicago.
Chicago museums are top rate, and there is a wide variety. The Windy City is home to numerous art, history, science, industry, cultural, and children's museums.
- Adler Planetarium and Astronomy Museum
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Chicago Children's Museum
- Chicago History Museum
- Field Museum of Natural History
- Intuit Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art
- Museum of Contemporary Art
- Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
There is so much to see and do in Chicago, planning your day can sometimes be a challenge. To help ease the burden, try one of the city's many guided tours, day trips, and sightseeing adventures.
- Chicago Architecture River Tour
- Chicago's Best Views
- Chicago Carriage Ride Tour
- Chicago Downtown Architecture Walking Tour
Where to Eat
Chicago is quickly becoming known as one of the top dining destinations in the country. Here's a good start to plan a gastronomic tour of the Windy City, with everything from fine dining to local favorites like the Chicago hot dog.
- Best Chicago Fine Dining Restaurants
- Popular Chicago Seafood Restaurants
- Most Romantic Chicago Restaurants
- Chicago Hot Dogs
- Chicago-Style Pizza
Shopping in Chicago
Even with Chicago's midwest sensibilities, we still like to splurge and shop 'til we drop. From the major stores on Michigan Avenue to the Oak Street Boutiques to the suburban outlet malls, the Chicago shopping scene offers something for every taste and budget.