Program begins at 4:30 p.m.
Tree lighting ceremony is at 5:00 p.m. (subject to change)
- Santa's House Hours:
- November 23, 2011: 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- November 24, 2011 (Thanksgiving Day): 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- November 25 - December 18, 2011: Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday - 11:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- December 19 - December 23, 2011: Every day - 11:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- December 24 (Christmas Eve): 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
(all dates and times subject to change)
Chicago Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony Description:
An annual tradition, the City of Chicago Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony is a highly anticipated event. In previous years it was normally held the day after Thanksgiving, but for budgetary reasons the city moved it to a weekday afternoon -- much to the consternation of travelers only in town for the Thanksgiving weekend.
Located in Daley Plaza adjacent to the Christkindlmarket, the ceremony features live holiday entertainment before the official lighting of the over 50 foot high Christmas tree, which has been donated to the city.
The tree is decorated with thousands of multi-colored lights and hundreds of ornaments that create quite a spectacle. Also on hand is Santa's Workshop at the base of the tree. Santa is available every day through Christmas Eve to listen to the little one's gift requests and for a great photo opportunity.